Wednesday 17 October 2012

Sophie Scholl

I've been reading about Sophie Scholl, a german student and political activist during the holocaust. She and her friends from the University of Munich, a group known as White Rose, were caught distributing their anti-nazi leaflets in 1943 and were executed by beheading. She kept up her political dissent to the end, and bravely walked to the executioner, believing she and her friends had taken the first step to bringing down the nazi government.

I shall be taking inspiration from Sophie Scholl's short life for my own work, particularly the character I am working on in class. To be so boldly outspoken against something you know you will be killed for disagreeing with is incredibly brave and noble.

Scholl was also interested in the arts, particularly degenerate art (what the nazis labelled anything they didn't approve of, such as post-impressionism, expressionism and dada). I will be picking up a book about 20th century german art in the library, and I will look to watch The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari.

No comments:

Post a Comment